Saturday, June 03, 2006

Research on Blogs and Blogging in India

Send me Your Response

Friends!

Thanks for your tremendous response through this blog, as well as, e-mails.

Blogs are a global phenomenon. Each passing day witnesses thousands of newer blogs from citizens across the world. However, the practice of blogging means different for different people. For the Westerners blogging is a way to discuss on issues such as politics or personal things. For a culturally diverse nation like India it means cross-cultural communication, shared experiences and a way to protest against governance. In this sense it serves a more pro-active role.

Following are my concerns that you will need to address while participating in this research project:

1. What are the type of blogs that interest you? Are these on personal issues or issues that affect the society at large?

2. What are the problems that you face while blogging?

3.What are your personal observations on Indian blogs?

4. Has blogging or blogs bought in a change in your lifestyle or ideology?

5. Do you think you have been able to bring about a change in your society through blogging?

6. What are your observations on cross-cultural communication through blogs?

7. Do you feel that censorship is important for blogs?

8. What, do you think, is the difference between websites and blogs?

PS: If you are not able to answer to some or any of the above questions, please do send me your observations on any area related to blogging. Your response is vital for the success of this research project. If you choose not to post a reply in the public domain, you can e-mail me at newmedia.soc@gmail.com.

3 Comments:

Blogger Karbis of Assam said...

1. What are the type of blogs that interest you? Are these on personal issues or issues that affect the society at large?

Ans : Cultural and social issues interest me the most. I always had the urge to know more about the social structure .. all those caste system previaling in India, those mythology etc... In my state of Assam, thought there is not much of caste system at the edge but there is some kind of division amongs the ethnic community of greater Assamese Society. I m much interested in uniting all and hence to do that , I love to share information about different communities of the state with other people as to bring greater understanding.

2. What are the problems that you face while blogging?

Ans : I had to browse for books on different anthropological and social issues relating to the ethnic communities of Assam as there is very less books available in the market to give a perfect picture of whatever I m portraying in my blog.

Sometimes I had to dealt with some readers of my blogs as they don't agree with all the points that have been presented in my blog.

3.What are your personal observations on Indian blogs?

Ans : Its increasing and increasing in a terrible speed. its a phenomenon to rely on. the things you will not get in other media. you will get it here. Indian blogs really portrayed the true picture of the Indian youth, the characteristics and the nature of thinking and understanding.

4. Has blogging or blogs bought in a change in your lifestyle or ideology?

Ans : Yes, After I started bloggin, I came to know many new things, which I have no knowledge about earlier. I began to feel more for the communities I portrayed in my blogs.

5. Do you think you have been able to bring about a change in your society through blogging?
Ans : Yes and No. But atleast I have succeded to convince some section of the society say a fraction of percentage to accept the different communites to be one and a part of the greater society . Might be not in a true sense but somehow and I believe that, that fraction of the society with whom I came in contact with will increase the no. in the days to come for under their influence.

6. What are your observations on cross-cultural communication through blogs?
Ans : It brings about greater understanding amongs the people of different communities by knowing the culture of each others and accepting it in the interest of the greater society through the bloggers. after all every drops in an ocean is a part of the greater water body, even if not the whole water body, i could atleast influence those near by me, my neighbours. It will erased the wrong perception some of might have for another communities in the society.

7. Do you feel that censorship is important for blogs?

Ans: No, Strictly No. Once there is censorship, the feelings with which every blog is posted will be lost .. Blogging will loose its virtue .

8. What, do you think, is the difference between websites and blogs?

Well what I feel is websites are completely Money oriented and hence you don't get the true picture of the Society where as blogs are knowledge oriented, where people share their feelings , thoughts and information which is beyond the influence of any economical activity and hence give a better and more clear picture of the prevailing society.

1:14 PM  
Blogger Zafar (.*_*.) said...

I feel blogging is an outlet to vent something... in my circles, i hardly find ANYONE to discuss the issues I m interested in.. I am in Guwahati now and I just visited the Navagraha Temple and the Kamakhya temple. Now Navagraha is fascinating as in how did ancient assamese discover the nine planets? It is centuries old... On the other hand the legend of Kamakhya has something to do with the outlook here... I can even connect Kamakhya with The Da Vinci Code. The only space I can think of doing it is one of my blogs. Oh yes... I have another coming up about the vintage city buses of Shillong...
Website? too cumbersome... pluss cost factor...
Cheers mate!

1:03 AM  
Anonymous Praveen said...

Hi! I have sent you my response on your email. Pls acknowledge. If you need further information you can send me a new set of questions. We can also meet on weekends if you come to R. K. Puram, New Delhi. Do give me a call on the day you plan to come down so that I can pull off some time for you.

Rgds,

Praveen

7:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home